Melbourne is renown around the world for being one of the world’s great foodie cities. What’s special about Melbourne is that not only do we have great restaurants, Melburnians also have a passion for dining out. Restaurants are one of the main social outlets for our city and Melbourne’s culinary arts are showcased in kitchen shops, gourmet food shop, cook book stores, TV shows, food festivals, cooking classes, public markets, farmers markets and of course restaurants. Our love affair with food and dining out sets an extremely high benchmark for quality.
Here are my personal favourites (in alphabetical order). I have tried each of these restaurants and I regularly recommend them to my guests. You can be assured of a great culinary experience at any of these fine establishments.
The list is ever changing as I explore our great city so check back regularly for updates!
- Bomba – Spanish – City (a casual spot with awesome food and a great rooftop bar) read my review
- Cafe e Cucina – Italian – South Yarra (a romantic classic)
- Cafe Di Stasio – Italian – St Kilda (the standard for classic Italian cuisine for over 25 years, superb)
- Cumulus Inc. – Contemporary – City (great breakfast, awesome veggies and a communal table to make new friends)
- Cutler & Co – Contemporary – Fitzroy (culinary excellence at the top of my favourites list) read my review
- The Deck – Modern European – Southbank (great food and value with superb hospitality) read my review
- D.O.C. – Italian/Pizzaria – Carlton (great food and family friendly)
- Donovans – Contemporary – St Kilda (huge menu with best seafood in town, with amazing sunsets) read my review
- Elyros – Cretan – Camberwell (Greek Island food and wine at its best) read my review
- Epocha – Modern European – Carlton (one of my favourite Melbourne experiences) read my review
- 400 Gradi – Pizzeria – Brunswick (voted best pizza in the world, the Margarita is a must try) read my review
- France-Soir – French – South Yarra (wonderfully done traditional French favourites)
- Gingerboy – Modern South East Asian – City (modern Asian flavours)
- Grossi Florentino – Italian – City (a Melbourne institution)
- La Luna Bistro – Modern Mediterranean – Carlton North (cozy comfort food)
- Ladro – Italian/Pizzeria – Fitzroy (trendy Italian at its best)
- Lupino – Italian – City (wonderful food and service and great value) read my review
- Longrain – Modern Thai – City (a modern twist on Thai in a historic warehouse dining room)
- Maha – Contemporary – City (a fun twist on fine dining, great if you craving a chance from the usual)
- Matteo’s – Contemporary – Fitzroy (a classic neighbourhood restaurant) read my review
- Movida – Spanish – City (iconic Melbourne tapas bar, great atmosphere)
- Movida Aqui – Spanish – City (the sister restaurant to Movida, great location and terrace)
- Pure South – Contemporary/Steak House – Southbank (steaks and seafood with a city view, great value) read my review
- Rockpool Bar & Grill – Contemporary Grill – City (a steak and red wine lovers paradise plus one of the largest menus in Melbourne) read my review
- Rosetta Ristorante – Italian – Southbank (best al fresco dining in Melbourne) read my review
- Rubira’s @ Swallows – Seafood – Port Melbourne (some of the best seafood in Melbourne at very reasonable prices) read my review
- Ryne – Modern French – Fitzroy North read my review
- Spice Temple – Modern Chinese – Southbank (best modern Yum Cha in Melbourne) read my review
- Vue de monde – Contemporary – City (a gastronomic experience like no other, book well in advance) read my review
Enjoyed my post? Want to keep up with great things to do around Melbourne, Australia and the world? Please feel free to subscribe to my blog by placing your email in the subscription box on my home page or just email me at ConciergeAUS@gmail.com Once subscribed you’ll automatically receive an email notification every time I create a new post. Your subscription will always remain spam free. Thank you for reading!